1. Pumpkins. This includes jack o’lanterns, pumpkins as decoration, and various pumpkin-derived foods, such as: pumpkin soup (be still, my stomach), pumpkin bread and muffins, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin pie.
2. Other flavors of autumn: warm soups and stews, tea, hot cocoa with marshmallows, sweet potato fries, allspice and cloves, cinnamon and ginger. And candy corn.
3. Wearing short skirts with tall boots and not freezing to death.
4. The chilly damp tang to the air, especially in the evening, when you can almost taste the crispness, edged with a tinge of decaying leaves and smoke.
5. Halloween, with the costumes, consumable goodies, and discernable glee of children.
6. The leaves changing colors (I have two Japanese maples in my yard) and eventually falling off and collecting in large crispy heaps.
7. Toasting by the fireplace for the first time in months, and watching Nala the Hound’s glee at being able to sleep by the fire again.
What do you love about the fall?